Thursday, August 4, 2011

New Joy.

I woke up in the middle of the night, not sure what from and not with a start as I’ve been waking up. But just with this song clearly and repetitively running through my head. I could only remember the chorus, though it’s a song I was listening to a lot before heading to Thailand.

“you’ll sing day by day, old jo-o-y comes back to me”

It took me a couple slow moving hours to fall back asleep (though in that time I lay awake and listened to the rain come down, the first rain I’ve experienced since arriving at Pakarang) and when I finally awoke at daybreak I had been dreaming of skiing at Whiteface in perfect conditions, but as my consciousness crept back in I found myself in the Whiteface outhouse and hearing a voice tell me a story of what came after a recent phone call (it involved odd things like ‘Noni’s buffalo chicken’). But undeterred by my pressing bladder and shaky awakening I opened my computer to listen to “old joy”. The lyrics are actually more applicable (to my life, etc) right now than I’d expected.

There is more in the world to be found
Than dreams.

And you’ll sing day by day
Old jo-o-y, comes back to me.
And you’ll sing day by day,
Old jo-o-oy comes back to me.

Forget the things that get away…
Don’t dream of yesterday.

Oddly, even though I’d listened to the song a number of times before, I’d never taken in the lyrics until this AM. I guess things will stumble across you like that sometimes. Noah and The Whale have many songs that fit nicely into the grooves of my current hopes and uncertainties. But more importantly, they have a way of soothing the anxieties that creep up when I least desire them.

No comments:

Post a Comment