Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunshi-i-ine (and entranced veggies)


Waking up to see the sun streaming through my window made today perhaps one of my most glorious mornings in Thailand. I also slept in later than I have any morning since I’ve been here (9:04, for the inanely curious among you), so that might have heightened the feeling of glory. Bombing out of bed I shot Miléna a facebook message and then high-tailed it to the beach. I feared the sunshine wouldn’t last long, and both of us wanted to take advantage of what little we had.

Today was just a reminder of how rejuvenating a sunny Sunday can be, and I was amazed by what a little bit of sunshine can do for your mood. Riding our bikes down random side soi (roads) in search of new beaches, Miléna and I accidentally (re)discovered the road that Matt and I walked down on our first day at FED. Not much later, we also accidentally discovered the trance-brigade traversing the same soi.

Let me explain… Or at least try to. This past week I’ve been witness to one of the more interesting local festivals, The Vegetarian Festival. The festival was started by Chinese Buddhists living in Phuket in 1825. During the 9-day festival, participating individuals wear white and abstain from eating animal products,  garlic, and onions. The motivation behind this is loosely that this period of time is one of spiritual cleansing, which is aided by a physical cleansing as well. The vegetarianism has obvious Buddhist roots, and apparently garlic and onions are commonly included in the list of no-nos because they are strong flavours (I don’t know where spices fit in). Khuek Khak’s Festival is centered around a shrine that is not far down the side road near FED, a convenience which has resulted in my taking a number of afternoon breaks for tempura taro and other veg treats, as well as exposed us to many of the festival’s more interesting aspects.

The festival, which is most famous, attended, and outlandish in Phuket is known for ritualistic body piercings (so far I’ve seen one man with a sword-like thing through his mouth), the ceaseless throwing of firecrackers, and most interestingly to me—individuals who are in a trance for nearly the entire duration of the festival. From what I got out of Daniel there are nightly ceremonies during which individuals enter the trance. If you enter the trance one year you are then required to participate in the annual festival for the remaining years of your life. The trance-entering ceremonies are apparently quite interesting, but can be long and somewhat boring as well. Seeing individuals who were entranced today has me more curious about watching them enter the trance, and if the weather agrees I’ll hopefully see one of the last ceremonies of the year tomorrow or Tuesday (when they will also be walking on coals, apparently).

As we left our first beach stop of the day Miléna and I found our bikes inaccessible due to a number of dancing individuals, swinging what looked like a mini-temple resting on a pole between them as they threw firecrackers (ya know, those chalky balls that snap and create sparks and smoke…) at the ground beneath them. The noise is unbearable and the smoke and heat must be awful for the men dancing over them, particularly given their bare feet. Finally making it to our bikes, Miléna removing an empty firecracker box from her seat, we hopped on and incidentally followed the convoy of trucks to new locations as they unloaded at various houses and resorts. Each truck carries a number of white-clothed individuals and one person in a trance. It seems as if the individuals accompanying the entranced person are family members and friends, and at every stop they get out and steady the entranced person, not robed in white but often covered in barbed wire, holding swords, and in various states of undress. They are usually shaking their heads, eyes rolling around, bodies trembling as they are led to an altar in front of a house, resort, restaurant, etc.  at which the residents or resort employees, etc. kneel, bowing and reciting incantations directed at the Gods that have taken control of the body of the entranced individual.

Besides their medium-like role, I have absolutely no idea what role the entranced individuals play in the festival, or how their significance developed. I do not understand why or how individuals are brought into the trance, nor why all but two whom I saw today were men (you can see two women in the video). It’s an absolutely fascinating tradition and the trances themselves had me at first rolling my eyes at individuals who are searching for some way to gain attention (many that we saw were teenage boys), but mostly left me frustrated that I did not have enough info to make any conclusions about what I saw because I knew nothing about these individuals, their past, the duration of the trance, and the gravity with which locals viewed these phenomena, among other things. Hopefully by asking good questions I will be able to learn more over the next few days.

For more info/background on the festival: http://www.phuketvegetarian.com/index_eg.htm

Also, because I haven't posted pictures but am currently feeling ambitious/untired:

                     Some goodies I picked up at the Saturday Market in Bang Niang

                                    My new home (see my motorbike out front!)

      Me and my ride :) (don't worry, I always wear the helmet when it's moving!)

No comments:

Post a Comment