Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A lot of words, but saying little... (a post on communication)


Well, after my last post had settled with me I felt a little obnoxious. If people are interested in reading my blog—why, thank you. I’m flattered. I spoke to Jenny on the phone today and she mentioned she’s been catching up on my blog and I immediately apologized for the post… I hadn’t realized she was still reading and it was just a reminder that I may not know exactly who is reading my blog, and furthermore, the people I’m writing my blog for are all people who I care about, and who care about me. So, while this is ultimately for me, it is also for those who care enough about me to keep reading. It is for those who think that what I write is interesting, and for those who it speaks to in some way. Perhaps even in a way that I personally could not, or that no one can at this point. So I suppose it’s time to stop belittling myself and this very self-serving writing and accept that it has been a wonderful and therapeutic thing for me and the friendships that have grown as a result of it (whether I am fully aware of it or not).

Whew, now that I’ve got that aside. Thailand. What’d it do for me? What’d it do to me? And where does it leave me now? Okay, so the where it leaves me now is a bit much for a blog post, and thus this is going to be entirely reflective: What did it do for me?

It changed me. A lot.

I know I mentioned that I have fallen back into some of my earlier mind traps now that I’m home again, but I have also learned to deal with those traps much better. I’ve gained a more open understanding of those around me and of how I interact with them. Forgive me if this is redundant because I’ve mentioned it to a number of people already and may have touched on it in my blog, but Thailand changed me primarily in two ways: it changed how I interact with others and it changed how I view the path I see ahead of me.

I’ll focus this post on interactions. Well, I never posted that language post I’d been crafting, although I’m sure I still will at some point. So briefly, being surrounded by so many other languages was absolutely thrilling. It was more than that, it was exhilerating, it was contradictory, it was rewarding, and it was damn hard. Really, really hard. Speaking French with Miléna was SO much fun, but it took me until our last dinner together before I felt comfortable conversing only in French, and even then I still brought in the occasional English phrase. It’s hard and it’s scary to be stuck in a language that you don’t know. It took me a while to realize what it felt like for the Burmese people I worked with to speak in English. When you are struggling with a language so many people look at you like you’re less intelligent and just plain dumb. I would say more on this, but I have déjà vu about a blog post where I made the connection between dumb (eg: stupid) and dumb (eg: literally unable to talk), so sorry if I’ve said this before. Well to put it simply, succinctly, and as always, eloquently: that feeling sucks. It is so frustrating to know that you are as (or more) intelligent than someone, but just lack the vocabulary to get it across. This realization took me a while to come to, but now that I have grown aware of it I find that it translates in many different ways.

Namely, this inability to best express oneself has nagged me visciously in my own tongue, and no one is free from the trap of having words come out wrong. But this realization has developed in me, very basically, a greater acceptance of others. This is not to say I won’t point others out on their contradictions, because I will, but I will not (generally) hold these mistakes against them.

Yeeeeet, I feel very contradictory saying this because I find that while I now place more emphasis on the intentions behind words when listening to others, I still at the same time realize the importance of words and how particularly we must craft them in order to be most accurately understood. I suppose I can expand on this conundrum most clearly by laying out two examples.

When I was in Thailand I received an email from someone I know and respect, but whose words I had never seen in writing. While reading his email I was surprised by his misspellings and occasional grammar mistakes but realized that my admiration for him mixed with my newfound appreciation for what lies behind poor grammar (ahem, decoding Burmenglish emails) kept me from judging him on them. However, I realized that had I read this email in a different context, I may have thought lesser of him based on this one skill. And how ridiculous is that? Yes, okay, the ability to write is in many ways an indicator of intelligence. But… what kind of intelligence exactly? The writer I’m referencing is, as I mentioned before, someone I greatly respect and admire, and I have to say, pretty freakin intelligent in my opinion as well. So why should his writing, something he never was given the chance to cultivate (or he never saw as necessary to cultivate) alter my view of him? Well, in this case, it absolutely shouldn’t. And, thanks to some view-changing experiences, it doesn’t. That said, it does not lead me to think my own writing skills are unimportant. Just because I grant him those concessions does not mean that I expect others to do the same for me.

My second example is shorter to explain, though in experience much deeper. And that one is my relationship with Miléna. She and I began as shy friends, me speaking quickly and nervously in English (I was a bit of a spazz-case when I first arrived at FED, I will admit it…), her nodding occasionally and responding in slow, methodical English, responding to maybe ¾ of what I was saying (a good percentage, I would soon realize). Now, it is true that our relationship grew from one of acquaintances to one of quick and comfortable friends thanks to our increasing ease with our positions at FED, the copious amounts of time we spent together, and her rapid improvement at English (not to mention rainy late night post-bar bike rides, ocean romps, and countless wonderful conversations over green curry, fried rice, or just our singha water bottles in the spider-webbed volunteer room) but I would be remiss if I did not attribute a large part of why we became such close friends to a growing acceptance in each of us for the unspoken words lurking behind apparent miscommunications. During many of the aforementioned conversations there were many moments of potential misunderstandings, but at the end of the day each of us understood the other’s intent, and whether we agreed or not we were each still able to grant the other the acceptance and understanding needed to keep the conversation going.

This acceptance comes from a realization that not only can words sometimes not fully express something, but that even if there were words that could completely, perfectly express a point, we can still easily make due without them. This is not to say that I feel I don’t need to express myself any better (in English or French), but merely that even though the majority of us can’t express ourselves as well as we’d like, miscommunications are not the end of the world. If we face others with a little more acceptance, we may realize that beneath these miscommunications we aren’t really being misunderstood after all. During many arguments I have often been known to roll my eyes and say, “it’s only semantics”. Now, that’s a cowardly way out of an argument, particularly because those semantics do often matter, for example, in politics. But truly, when it comes to life and our day-to-day exchanges, underneath those petty matters of semantics we’re basically all saying the same thing anyway: “I want to be understood, and I want to understand you.”

So that’s big lesson #1 from Thailand. It’s okay if you let little “misunderstandings” slide by, as long as there’s agreement on the underlying message. (And now I will end this post before my counter-argument threatens to bubble over a few more pages… this is a nuanced topic, so don’t think I naively believe it’s settled just because I choose this as a closing)

No comments:

Post a Comment